I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Friday, July 3, 2009

Looking Back - Part 9 - A Job That Made a Difference

My husband and I raised our kids in Montana, where my husband was stationed at Malmstrom AFB. I didn't work outside the home while the kids were small, but when they were all in elementary/kindergarten,I took a teaching position in the same Catholic school they attended. I didn’t teach any of their classes, of course, but it was fun because we could go to school together in the mornings, come home together in the afternoon and we had the same holidays and shared the same school activities.

Once they moved on to public middle schools, I took a job at the local library. I had gotten discouraged with schools in general, as well as the teaching environment at the time. I decided that I needed a change. So, for a couple of years I worked in various departments of the library and enjoyed it primarily because I got to be around books all the time and books have always been one of my favorite things.

But then one day I saw an ad in the newspaper that tweaked my curiosity. It was regarding a new program in Montana and the position was for a director of a local facility for a project called Independent Living. It was designed to help people with disabilities to become more integrated into the community. It was something I felt strongly about, something that I felt needed to happen for the disabled and so, although I knew very little about disabilities and knew no disabled people in the community, I knew I was more than willing and able to learn. So, I put in my application. Three days later I had my first interview.

The project was being directed by a nun, Sister Helen, out of the program's office in the state capital in Helena and she was looking for directors for Great Falls and Billings offices. The interview went well and I met a wonderful disabled man, Jim Clark, who worked in the local office of the state employment department. He would be working with the new project as well.

I had to admit that I had no experience with the disabled, but that I was willing to learn and that I felt very strongly about the need for such a program. However, no one was more amazed than I was when three days later I was offered the job. I had to ask them why they had chosen me. Thinking about it later, their answer made perfect sense – for one thing, I didn’t know what many involved with the disabled, considered impossible, I didn’t know what the usual excuses were for why the project’s goals were out of reach, I didn’t see why it couldn’t be done. They didn’t hire a disabled person at the time because there weren’t that many that would even be able to access and do much of what had to be done – that’s how bad conditions were at that time. The plan was to put the entire project in the hands of the disabled once the immediate goals were achieved. I knew the job probably wouldn’t last more than three to four years, and I was more than okay with that as I felt the disabled should, indeed run their own project, but I was excited about being able to help get it moving.

They also hired me an assistant, a Vietnam veteran who, due to wounds he received there had developed epilepsy and had been unable to find work in spite of having a degree in business. His name was David – one more David in my life in addition to my husband, David and my son, David -- well, at least I wouldn't have to worry about talking in my sleep.

The next three years were among the best, the most exciting and rewarding years of my life.

Our first task was to find and furnish an office. Once that was done, we set about locating as many of the disabled in the Great Falls area as possible. We got lists from hospitals, care givers and state offices. We visited one on one with as many as possible. We set up meetings where the disabled could come and voice their needs, their hopes and we began a list of things to accomplish. Things like providing parking spaces, with parking meters low enough for them to reach from a wheelchair --the idea of free handicapped parking hadn't even been thought of at the time. Ramps to enable them to cross streets, attend church; go to movies, access the working environments so they might be able to get jobs, doors wide enough to allow wheelchair entrance into restaurants, stores, offices, restrooms. It was a daunting task and we met a lot of resistance, and lots of excuses as to why it could never happen.

But over the next three years it did happen, as we set about to educate the public about the disabled. We met with business owners and city officials. We even took part in a school program in local high schools where we brought people with different disabilities to meet with students, to tell them their story about their disabilities and to answer questions. Gradually we began to see such incredible and wonderful changes not only in the disabled community, but in the entire community as they began to accept the disabled as needed and viable members.

Looking back and seeing how much has changed for the disabled over the past twenty-eight years gives me one of those warm, fuzzy feelings just knowing that I had a small part in making that happen for a lot of people in Great Falls, Montana.

11 comments:

maryt/theteach said...

I love this part of your life, Sylvia! :)

bobbie said...

I can only repeat - you have lived a very full and interesting life, and I am enjoying these episodes so very much.

Elizabeth Bradley said...

Wonderful story, you are amazing. We have come a long way but now that I have a grandson that suffers greatly and is severely disabled by a brain injury, I feel we still have a long way to go.

Anonymous said...

Applying for that job took a lot of courage, but you tackled it with guts and determination. I am so proud of you, Sylvia!

Janie said...

You've had quite an interesting life. That job was a frontrunner in helping the disabled find their place in our society. A worthwhile endeavor, indeed.

Indrani said...

Interesting! I can sense the excitement of teaching in same school as your own children. I have friends here who tell me the same.

I admire the fact that you have taken up new challenges that have come your way. Very brave!

Keep writing. I have to catch up with you previous ones... I have missed a lot.

Mary Ellen said...

Something must have come through in the interview that told them you were going to be able to get this project moving - bravo!

George said...

This is a wonderful story and you should feel good about the contribution you made. You should also feel good about showing that heart can be just as important (or more important) than mind (book learning).

Ugich Konitari said...

How wonderful that you were able to do pioneering work, in what is today, something that is taken for granted. In our obsession with money and prestige based success in our jobs, we lose touch with reality and how life is not easy at all for disabled folks. Kudos to you for working in this.........

Linda Reeder said...

Your life has so many amazing chapters! What courage you have.

Lilly said...

Oh what a wonderful job you must have had and I bet you gained so much too. We certainly have come along way. One of my best friends is an ex nun who is also disabled. She is now in a wheel chair and she has taught me so much. Its a fight for many people with disabilities and I ahve sen things with a diffeent perspective so often. Taking Dad out in his chair has taught me as well that the world is still inaccessible in places. We need some more Sylvias in the world. That would have been a fascinating time for you.

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time