I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Evening Words, Wisdom and Beauty


/\Namaste
The more I read Tagore the more I learn about myself, about life, about people, beauty, nature. One of the good things about more time for myself is the time to discover beauty, joy and hopefully wisdom.

Children are living beings - more living than grown-up people who have built shells of habit around themselves. Therefore it is absolutely necessary for their mental health and development that they should not have mere schools for their lessons, but a world whose guiding spirit is personal love. Tagore

As a former teacher as well as the mother of four, this quote truly spoke to me. The past two years I've been volunteering in a Jump Start program for pre-schoolers as well as an after school art class for first to fifth grade. It's been disturbing to see how little quality time parents today spend with their kids. It's all about more and more activities, after school, weekends. That is truly sad not only for the children but that their parents don't see/understand what they are missing as well as how much they are shortchanging both the children and themselves.

Death is not extinguishing the light; it is putting out the lamp because the dawn has come. Tagore

And, as one gets older and begins to truly realize the inevitable, this is a beautiful thought to hold onto.

Do not say, "It is morning," and dismiss it with a name of yesterday. See it for the first time as a new-born child that has no name.
And to see the wonderful possibilities of each new day! Tagore

Everything comes to us that belongs to us if we create the capacity to receive it.
And that is the challenge! Opening ourselves to new experiences, to the joys that can be ours, the love we can experience! It is up to us to let go of fear and open ourselves in order to receive what is there for us.

5 comments:

Linda Reeder said...

Yes, it is fear that prevents us from being all we can be.
Beautiful words and ideas.

magiceye said...

love this quote
Death is not extinguishing the light; it is putting out the lamp because the dawn has come. Tagore

thank you so much for sharing the wisdom!

Lilly said...

They are beautiful thoughts Sylvia and so true. Thats why its important to be around children as much as we are able. I wish I was wiser when I was bringing my daughter up. Too young, truly. The other day I was trying to make a collage of a photos from every year of her life. I started to cry uncontrollably because all I could think of was the bad stuff. Like sending her to day care when she was 6 months old and all the time I wasnt with her. Guilt it was, pure guilt. She laughed when I told her. Gosh I dont know how she turned out so well considering. Thanks for posting these, maybe by the time I get grandchildren I might be a more knowing human being. Beautiful photo too Sylvia.

bobbie said...

What you - and Tagore - say about children is so very true. I wonder at times how so many modern children are going to learn what it really is all about. I am so grateful that my daughter and son-in-law seem to understand what their son really needs.

Anonymous said...

That is such a brilliant post, I agree wholeheartedly with all of it.
I am a mother of 3 young children and I am the mother who is the 'odd one out', so are my kids for that matter. My kids love spending time at home and we love having them. When school holidays come around it almost makes me cry with joy as I jump up and down (literally) excited that my son will be home everyday during the holidays, I miss him each day that he is at school and he misses us....yet I kid you not all the other parents roll their eyes and inform me how they 'hate the holidays', and 'they have no idea what they will DO WITH THEM (the kids)' for such a long amount of time!!!!!
That kills me. I watch other kids the same age as my son, they watch the way him and I are together and you can see them, they want the same connection. I always make sure there is room on my knee for another child.
LOL, look how much I wrote, I told you I loved this post!!
xm

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time