I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Things We Just Don't Want to Know

Last Saturday Bob Herbert, Op-Ed columnist with the New York Times, had a sad but thought provoking column regarding the life and death of Michael Jackson and how it reflects a whole era of extreme immaturity and grotesque irresponsibility that was already well under way in America. The craziness played out on a shockingly broad front and Jackson’s life, among many others, would prove to be a shining and ultimately tragic example.

It was the 80s, Ronald Reagan was president, making promises he couldn’t keep about taxes and deficits and allowing the readings of a West Coast astrologer to shape his public schedule. The movie “Wall Street” would soon appear, accurately reflecting the nation’s wholesale acceptance of unrestrained greed and other excesses of the rich and powerful. Sound familiar?

In neighborhoods through much of black America, crack was taking a fearful toll. Young criminals were arming themselves with ever more powerful weapons and prison garb was used to set fashion trends. Hip-hop would soon appear, and then the violence and misogyny of gansta rap.

All kinds of restraints were coming off and it seemed to many of us then that it was almost as if the adults had gone into hiding. The deregulation that we were told would be great for the economy was being applied to the culture as a whole. Women could be treated as sex objects again as misogyny, hardly limited to hip-hop, went mainstream. Astonishing numbers of men abandoned their children with impunity. Most of the nation seemed fine with the idea of going to war without a draft and without raising taxes --- sound familiar???

As Herbert says, in many ways we descended as a society into a fantasyland, trying to leave the limits and consequences and obligations of the real world behind. Politicians stopped talking about the poor. We built up staggering amounts of debt and called it an economic boom. We shipped jobs overseas by the millions without ever thinking seriously about how to replace them. And, we let New Orleans drown.
Jackson was the perfect star for the era, the embodiment of fantasy gone wild. He tried to carve himself up into another person, but, of course, there was the same Michael Jackson underneath – talented but psychologically disabled to the point where he was a danger to himself and others.

Reality is unforgiving and there is no escape. Behind the Jackson façade was the horror of child abuse. The court records and reams of well-documented media accounts contain a stream of serious allegations of child sex abuse and inappropriate behavior, but Jackson, a multimillionaire megastar, was excused as an eccentric. But to me, one of the worst and most inexcusable, is the fact that often small children were delivered into his company to spend the night in his bed by their own parents. One case of alleged pedophilia against Jackson, the details of which would make your hair stand on end was settled for a reported $25 million. He beat another case in court.

The Michael-mania that has erupted since Jackson’s death – not just an appreciation of his music, but a giddy celebration of his life, is just another spasm of the culture opting for fantasy over reality. We don’t want to look under the rock that was Jackson’s real life.

As with so many other things, we just don’t want to know.

11 comments:

Peggy said...

I am so conflicted about MJ's mania as I call it. On one hand I love his music and his talent, on the other hand I hate the crime that he was accused of .
I finally just seperated the two sides of MJ in my mind...!
Enough already though....the media has just gone nuts it seems.
Wonderful post, you had so many good points but I have already said to much like usual!

Sylvia K said...

Peggy, you never say "too" much! I always love your comments because they are thoughtful and insightful and we can all use more of that. I loved MJ's music and think he had incredible talent, I was just sad to see where his life ended up! Thanks as always for your comment!

bobbie said...

You have summed it up so well, Sylvia. Personally, I never liked him and truly did not find his "talent" all that amazing. - I know, that seems to be heresy in these days. But it's the way I see it. I found him repulsive. That he was permitted to continue his bizarre behavior with little children was beyond belief.
I am so sick of the media telling us how we are all breathlessly waiting for this or that. He's gone now. If only they would just let him go. And if only the public would not see him as something greater than he was.

Deborah Godin said...

A nice summation of this phenomenon. I've never been a fan of his, and I take the music pundits at their word about his genus, influence and legacy, but I'm still sitting here with MSNBC on, I'm quite fascinated by the cultural event of his memorial.

Michael Horvath said...

I just mentioned to a co-worker that I wondered how much people who won a ticket to his service were pawning it for...

Ramakrishnan said...

Very well written. No doubt that MJ was a musical genius - but he belonged to an era of misguided youth,given to crack & cocaine, bizarre & eccentric, filthy rich,with no value sytems, completely immoral,vain with a bloated ego, hated himself so much that he spent millions to reconstruct his face & change his color.
People have a short memory - his negative attributes will be soon forgotten but his musical genius will live on.
He was a legend, he remains a legend in death and history will continue to refer to him as a legend.
I am no fan of his but my son was in awe of him and was shell shocked at the news of his sudden death.

Roshni said...

on the contrary, I wish the media would carry more extensive investigations about these child abuse stories rather than who got tickets and at what cost simply to show people that this is not a person to revere!

I understand that he was a phenomenon with regards to his music...let's just leave it at that.

Elizabeth Bradley said...

I am mystified as to why he's being treated as if he were in the company of Princess Diana. She worked tirelessly for various charities, especially trying to get rid of land mines around the world that blow up children by the thousands, and MJ is getting the same kind of treatment. I don't get it. People do have short memories, or as you point out, they just don't want to know. Denial is not just a river in Africa.

Darlene said...

The misguided never ending hero worship of a troubled man who was not only weird, but was probably a pedophile is disgusting.

I will not watch the constant tributes to him and find the media to be as shallow as he was.

Janie said...

I read that article in the NYT and was impressed by it, too.
I liked some of MJ early work, but he was a strange man with some strange penchants. Why all the media blitz? It's just crazy.

Linda Reeder said...

I will never be sure if he was truly a pedophile, or just a case of self induced arrested development, a lost boy living in Neverland. The real sin, as you said, was those parents who handed their children over to him.
MJ had a lot of talent, but he hadn't used it in a long while. He turned himself into an androgynous white child, never allowing himself to take on manhood. He had children so he could have his own playmates. He was tragically sick, due in large part to the abuse of his father. It's a sad story indeed, and it bothers me that so many African Americans idolize him. He was a false god.

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time