I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Memorable Lines from Memorable Speeches

The inaugural address that Obama delivered today was just the latest in a long line of big speeches he's made. The first, of course, was at the 2004 Democratic convention ("There is not a liberal America and a conservative America; there is the United States of America"). Then came his presidential announcement in Springfield, IL ("I know I haven't spent a lot of time learning the ways of Washington, but I've been there long enough to know that the ways of Washington must change"). There was his speech on race in Philadelphia ("I will never forget that in no other country on Earth is my story even possible"). There was his speech at the Democratic convention ("I stand before you tonight because all across America something is stirring. What the nay-sayers don't understand is that this election has never been about me; it's been about you"). And there was his victory speech in Chicago's Grant Park ("If there is anyone out there who still doubts that America is a place where all things are possible."). As Chuck Todd said, Obama will likely use speeches to help him govern more than any other modern American president. And speeches will likely create many of the defining moments of his presidency.

11 comments:

Joy said...

I love this post and how you worked in lines from his wonderful speeches to make a point. I'm looking forward to having a President I'm proud of and will lead us with dignity and integrity.

What a glorious day!!

Patty said...

What a wonderful day this has been.

magiceye said...

heard him live too... he sure keeps his audience enrapt!

Linda Reeder said...

It will be lovely to listen to presidential speeches and not have to cringe. But it's ideas behind the words that make the difference.

K. said...

Now that you point it out, Obama has made more memorable speeches in a year than most other politicians make in a lifetime. It's breathtaking.

Tessa said...

He really is the best orator since Churchill, in my humble.

Lawdy, what a difference...."I know the human and fish can co-exist peacefully."

Margie's Musings said...

Thanks for sharing this. We've waited eight long years to be able to say that.

clairz said...

He always surprises us with his speeches. Yesterday's was surprising in that it was so business-like, and not the call and response kind of speech that drives the crowds wild with repeated phrases like "yes, we can." As Obama said, it is time to put away childish things.

Now it's time, as his words made abundantly clear, to roll up our sleeves and go to work. It's time to find ourselves once again.

I have such hope. We all do.

Darlene said...

Thank you, Sylvia, for your research on President Obama's former speeches. He has said so many memorable words that they get lost in all of the oratory.

P. S. I wonder when spell check will finally stop underlining our President's name?

Anonymous said...

Good collection of memorable lines - thanks. I also liked how he ended his inaugural speech yesterday.

Dianne said...

wonderful lins from amazing speeches - thank you for gathering them together

It is so wonderful to once again have a President with a command of the English language. My ears have stopped bleeding.

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time