I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A Secretary of the Arts

Bobbie of Almost There, posted this last night, I'm just passing it on as I believe we all need to be able to focus more on the beauty of art, music, literature during these very depressing times and it is past time that we did this.

PETITION SEEKING SIGNATURES FOR A REQUEST TO PRESIDENT OBAMA
TO APPOINT A SECRETARY OF THE ARTS.
Quincy Jones, famed musician, has started a petition to ask President-Elect Obama to appoint a Secretary of the Arts.  While many other countries have had Ministers of Art or Culture for centuries, The United States has never created such a position. We in the arts need this and the country needs the arts--now more than ever. Please take a moment to sign this important petition and then pass it on to your friends and colleagues.

Thank You!

Please feel free to copy and paste to your blog.

5 comments:

Dianne said...

Could I vote for you and Bobbie to be in charge of liasion between blog land and the President?

bobbie said...

Thanks for posting this, Sylvia. It sounds to me like a great idea. I hope others agree.

Darlene said...

Since my son is a professional musician I can readily subscribe to that post. I will sign the petition and post it to my blog. (That is, if I can stay on line long enough. I have been having computer problems and it crashes daily.)

Kay said...

Gosh... I hate to be such a dummy but can you tell me what the Secretary of the Arts would do? Would he/she be creating regulations or funding or opportunity? I guess I'd have to know what the objective would be.

Kay Dennison said...

While I like the idea, I think it's really the least of our worries. With the way things are going, who will be able afford the arts? My membership in the Art Institute and my season tickets to the symphony aren't free.

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time