I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Monday, January 26, 2009

That's My World -- Chief Seattle

Thanks to Klaus for signing me into My World! And thanks for the visits and comments!

A number of people over the last couple of years have asked me how Seattle got it’s name and since it’s a interesting little piece of history, I thought I would share it on My World today.

Chief Seattle or Stealth, also spelled Seathle, Seathl or See-ahth, was a leader of the Suquamish and Duwamish Native American tribes in what is now the state of Washington. A prominent figure among his people, he pursued a path of accommodation to white settlers, forming a personal relationship with David Swinson “Doc” Maynard and Seattle was named for him. In later years, Sealth claimed to have seen the ships of the Vancouver Expedition as they explored Puget Sound. The Vancouver Expedition (1791-1795) was a five-year voyage of exploration and diplomacy, commanded by Captain George Vancouver. The expedition circumnavigated the globe, touched five continents and changed the course of history for several nations. The expedition at various times included between two and four vessels, and up to 153 men, all but six of whom returned home safely.

Sealth earned his reputation at a young age as a leader and a warrior, ambushing and defeating groups of enemy raiders coming up the Green River from the Cascade foothills and attacking tribes living on the Olympic Peninsula. Like many of his contemporaries, he owned slaves captured during his raids. He was tall and broad for a Puget Sound native at nearly six feet. Hudson’s Bay Company traders gave him the nickname Le Gros (The Big One). He was also known as an orator; and when he addressed an audience, his voice was said to have carried 3/4ths of a mile.

He took wives from the village of Tola’ltu just southeast of Duwamish Head on Elliott Bay (now a part of West Seattle). His first wife died after bearing a daughter. He had three sons and four daughters with his second wife. The most famous of his children was his first, Kikisoblu or Princess Angeline. Sealth was baptized in the Roman Catholic Church and given the baptismal name, Noah, probably in 1848 near Olympia, Washington.

For all his skill, Sealth was gradually losing ground to the more powerful Patkanim of the Snohomish when white settlers started showing up in force. When his people were driven from their traditional clamming grounds. Sealth met Maynard in Olympia; they formed a friendly relationship useful to both. Persuading the settlers at Duwamps to rename the town Seattle, Maynard established their support for Sealth’s people and negotiated relatively peaceful relations among the tribes.

Sealth frequented the town named after him, and had his photograph taken by E. M. Sammis in 1865. He died June 7, 1866, on the Suquamish reservation at Port Madison, Washington.

Chief Seattle’s gravesite on the Port Madison Indian Reservation in Suquamish, Washington

Closeup of Chief Seattle’s tombstone in Suquamish, Washington








This statue of Chief Seattle was erected in 1908, Tilikum Place, in Seattle. The statue is on the National Register of Historic Places.

20 comments:

pink dogwood said...

Enjoyed reading this bit of history :)

Sucharita Sarkar said...

I've always been fascinated by Native American history, maybe because they were called Red INDIANS once upon a time. Thanks for the very interesting post and the useful links.

Anonymous said...

Excellent! Great and informative post!
Cheers, Klaus

Kay said...

I enjoyed reading this, too. I had no idea that Seattle was named for a Native American chief.

Here's what I found out about my state of Illinois:

Illinois is the French version of their own name Illiniwek meaning "men" or "people" which is sometimes shortened to Illini. Various spellings were: Aliniouek, Aliniwek, Eriniouai, Hileni, Illiniwek, Illiniouck, Ilinoue, and Inoca. Other names included: Chicktaghick, Geghdageghroano, and Kighetawkigh Roanu (Iroquois); Oudataouatouat (Wyandot); and Witishaxtanu (Huron).

EG CameraGirl said...

Wonderful post, Sylvia!

Anonymous said...

Very interesting bit of information.

Jane Hards Photography said...

This was truly fascinating post, very involved. This really is a very informative post. I feel like I have had a mini history lesson.


Mr linky.- If you stop by my post, go to the bottom line and click on the here highlighted in red. That will take you to mr linky- I hope- and the sign up.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading all the history of such a distinquished person.

Guy D said...

Great history lesson, thanks for sharing.

Cheers!
Regina In Pictures

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the enjoyable lesson and the great pics. Glad I now know the origin of the name Seattle.

You are signed in to Mr. Linky, albeit misspelled, so I guess some kind soul did it for you.

Unknown said...

I have a book of philosophical narratives, a couple of pages of which are dedicated to Chief Seattle. He was a wise man, and a leader among his peers, the truest test.

Janie said...

Interesting post on Chief Seattle.

Carver said...

Thanks for sharing this history from your part of the world. Very interesting.

Gaelyn said...

A very good historic tour, Sylvia. Chief Seattle holds a great place in NW history. His passion and love for the earth shows thru in so many of his many quoted speeches. Thank you for sharing this.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Sylvia: What a great post on the history of the City of Seattle.

Marites said...

Fascinating educational post you got here and I actually thought, Seattle came from somebody English.

Rinkly Rimes said...

Why didn't they call the town Sealth?

Unknown said...

Thank you for taking the time to educate me on Seattle, so interesting, I always associate where I am with Native Indians.

bobbie said...

this is a really interesting bit of history, Sylvia. Thanks very much.

Arija said...

lvia, this is a wonderful historical post. It is always good to know about the roots of the place one lives in and you write so well about it. A remarkable person indeed.

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time