I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Evening Words, Wisdom and Beauty



Those who contemplate the beauty of the earth find reserves of strength that will endure as long as life lasts.
Rachel Carlson



A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
Greek Proverb



Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life.
John Muir

9 comments:

kRiZcPEc said...

I love the lines going to the mountain is going home, yes, people can be free of all those social conduct codes & stuff like that. :)

♥ Braja said...

Lovely thoughts as usual, Sylvia...

chrome3d said...

I need a fountain for life too. I will hold that thought today.

raf said...

Your quotes of wisdom and beautiful images are perfectly aligned, Sylvia.

Unknown said...

..."wildness is necessity"...Great line. Being surrounded by nature has always been my escape...It recharges my soul. Love the old farmhouse pic...

JJ

Marie Reed said...

I have never heard this Greek proverb. How thought provoking and poignant!

Lilly said...

Thanks for the inspiration Sylvia. I really love the complementary pictures.

abb said...

I have such a strong affinity for rocks. Though all are beautiful, your last photo is simply beautiful.
John Muir's words...so very true.

Frankie Anon said...

Lovely photos, lovely thoughts. Thank you!

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time