I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Jump Start Class



One of our neighbors developed a Jump Start program for pre-school children a number of years ago and it has been incorporated in the school system here in Ballard, WA.
The program is designed to prepare children four and five years old for Kindergarten and it has had great results. Click on the photos to see the little buggers' faces, some of the expressions are pretty cute.



Soon after I moved here, Toni asked if I would be interested in volunteering one day a week in the class that she teaches (there are two classes a day, two teachers for each class). She told me she thought it would be good to be able to have someone available to read to the kids during their play time. I agreed and have been doing it every Wednesday.



I took my camera to class with me a couple of weeks ago and got some shots of the kids during snack time and thought I'd share those with you this morning.



Some of the other grades have planted a garden and spend part of their science class planting and tending the plants.





9 comments:

DeVona said...

I love the idea that you read to the kids! I loved reading aloud to my kids growing up- I've read the Little House series to all 3 at three different times (roughly 7 years apart for each ) plus many other classics, picture books, etc. I have the itch to read the Little House series aloud again- and may volunteer somewhere as you have. What are some of your favorite books to read aloud to those ages?

Elizabeth Bradley said...

It's so fun to read to children because they are so "in the moment". How sweet of you to volunteer. Isn't that garden cute? When children spend time outdoors and learn how to cultivate the earth, it makes them better people.

Darlene said...

What a wonderful way to volunteer. I loved reading aloud to my children and they are both avid readers now.

Four and five year old children are at such a wonderful age; they are little sponges and it's a delight to see them learn.

Cute kids in your photos.

chrome3d said...

That job must give you a lot of thoughts and new revelations. Keep up the good work.

Utah Savage said...

Nice looking group of kids. And what a good idea it is to have preschool be more than the warehousing of kids whose parents work.

Linda said...

You seem to be having a great time and it's one of those activities that makes you feel all warm inside knowing you've helped a child. The world needs a million of you. The world also needs gray haired folks working with preschool children. It's a rich experience for both.

Susan at Stony River said...

So cute! What a great way to spend a morning. I used to volunteer as a literacy assistant at our local school, when my daughter was little. The kids are so sweet.

Sujatha Bagal said...

That is such a wonderful opportunity! Children replenish the soul like nothing else. I think I will end up working in a classroom - but when my kids are grown. Right now enough soul replenishing going on every minute of every day! :)

kRiZcPEc said...

whoever thought to welcome birds with a sign must be a genius! thanks for sharing.:)

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time