I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Kreative Blogger





Thanks so much to Carol and to Janie who gave me these awards! As most of you know, while I'm very honored to receive awards and do express my gratitude, I don't usually participate. But I'm making an exception today. I'm supposed to make a list of seven things about me to share with readers. Of course with my big mouth, there's very, very little that you don't already know about me. But just in case you missed something, here goes.

1. I was born in Texas, graduated from the University of North Texas in Denton. I have always been stubborn, hard headed and determined to make my life as wonderful and as exciting as I could. I was 76 this past August.
2. While I was married to an officer in US Air Force, we lived in Spain and Germany. We traveled to Italy, Switzerland, France, Austria, Portugal and Greece.
3. I have four children, two girls, two boys scattered over the country. And they are the light of my life and my greatest joy! I live with my youngest son -- primarily because he felt I needed a keeper, but mostly because he's not married, travels a great deal and has a dog who gets very lonesome.
4. I finally retired at 67-- and then only because the company I worked for had gotten caught up in the Japanese financial crisis of the 1990s and had to shut down it's brand new, unfinished plant in Oregon.
5. Unable to find anyone willing to hire a 67 year old broad, I moved to San Miguel de Allende in Mexico where I lived for a year, traveling, learning the language and generally having a terrific time.
6. Returned to the states in the spring of 2000 spent a year in Dallas, Texas, revisiting old haunts, spending time with my oldest son.
7. Returned to the northwest in 2002 and after moving from Portland to Seattle in 2006, I got into blogging and have no idea how I ever existed without it! It's been the most fun ever. Then as part of blogging I got into photography although I had never used anything but a disposable camera before. That opened a whole new door. So, I'm very happy, busy and life has never been so good!

And that's me!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you, Sylvia. Blogging has opened a whole new world to me. I have even invited blogger friends to my home for lunch. Lots of fun!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your awards!

Paz

Janie said...

The awards are well-deserved, because you have a wonderful blog.
I was interested to hear more about your life. You've lived so many places! You really have had a grand life so far, and you're living it well.

Great Grandma Lin said...

good for you, I'm just turning 70 next year and loving every minute of being retired...

Christella D. Moody said...

Congratulations and what an interesting life you've had.

tina said...

Congrats for getting those awards! You very well deserve those.And good to know about you SYLVIA!

Beverley Baird said...

Congrats on the awards!
It was great learning more about you.
I have sure enjoyed blogging since I started in March - and photography.

Kay said...

I just loved this post, Sylvia. I got to know you a bit more and could get an even better picture of who you are. You are certainly living a fun and exciting life. I love it that you've got your youngest son living with you, too. What a nice feeling to have family with you.

Peggy said...

Sylvia;

I learned alot about you from this little writing assignment. You are a more of a wonder then I thought.
A whole new world opened for me when I started blogging. The people that I meet are so amazing, just like you.

Sylvia K said...

To all of you who have left such wonderful, kind, beautiful comments, I just want to say, thank you! You are all one of the main reasons that I find so much joy, not only in blogging, but in life itself!

Sylvia

Carolyn Ford said...

I am very glad you accepted the awards! I love your posts, too!

kRiZcPEc said...

Congrats! You deserved it. :)

soulbrush said...

this was so interesting, i learnt so much more about you. yes i agree, 'life begins at 60' (or for you 70). you go girl! thanks for visiting me every friday too.

jabblog said...

Well done Sylvia - for everything you do!

bobbie said...

Hooray for you! Blogging is indeed the best fun ever - well - second to photography. Both awards are well deserved.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your awards my friend :) Well done :) And it's great to learn more about you :)

storyteller said...

Congrats on your well deserved award and FUN to get a refresher about your life. I'm glad we've made this 'virtual' connection ;-)
Hugs and blessings,

Rambling Woods said...

I came via SS, but I had to comment on this post. You have had a very interesting life and I do love to learn more about people...I should do this one..but it won't be as interesting as yours is Sylvia

Linda Reeder said...

Sylvia, I'm glad I went back and looked this up. I have enjoyed your stories over this last year, and this post helps pull it all together for me.
You are one gutsy lady!

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time