I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Monday, November 9, 2009

That's My World - Dallas, Texas


Over a hundred people from all over the world have shared their world with us! Join us and share yours as well! That's My World is hosted by Klaus and the That's My World team, Sandy, Wren, Fishing Guy, Louise and myself. Click on the icon, follow the instructions, sign up and share your world with us.

Over this past year I’ve been taking a look at my world/worlds – a world that has had more than one location over the years and it’s been fun reliving memories of beautiful places I have lived and traveled to, both alone and with my family. The one place I realized that I have avoided is my birthplace, Dallas, Texas. But I was born in Dallas; I attended/graduated from the University of North Texas in Denton, Texas, located about 35 miles north of Dallas. My first and third child were born in Dallas and that third one – my son, David, still lives there. So, today I decided to take a look at that part of my world – never a favorite, but nevertheless, one with an interesting and sad history.

Dallas skyline today.



Before Texas was claimed in the 18th century as a part of the Viceroyalty of New Spain by the Spanish Empire, the Dallas area was inhabited by the Caddo Native Americans. Later, France also claimed the area, but in 1819 the Adams-Onís Treaty made the Red River the northern boundary of New Spain, officially placing Dallas well within Spanish territory. The area remained under Spanish rule until 1821, when Mexico declared independence from Spain and the area became part of the Mexican state of Coahuila y Tejas. In 1836, the Republic of Texas broke off from Mexico to become an independent nation. In 1839, four years into the Republic's existence, Warren Angus Ferris surveyed the area around present-day Dallas. Two years later, John Neely Bryan established a permanent settlement that later became the city of Dallas. The Republic of Texas was then annexed by the United States in 1845 and Dallas County was established the following year. It is uncertain whether the city was named after George Mifflin Dallas, the U.S. Vice President under James Knox Polk.

Dallas, like many other cities in the world, was founded along a river. The city was founded at the location of a "white rock crossing" of the Trinity River, where it was easier for wagons to cross the river in the days before ferries or bridges. The Trinity River, though not usefully navigable, is the major waterway through the city.

Big Tex of the State Fair of Texas



Southern Methodist University



In 1963 I had returned to the University in Denton and on that sunny Friday of November 22, I had driven into Dallas to go to the dentist. I arrived at the Dental School for my appointment just after 12:00 pm. The first thing that I saw as I walked towards the building was everyone standing around outside, stunned looks on their faces and that was how I learned of the assassination of John F. Kennedy. It is one of those days that remain as clear in my mind as yesterday.



Dealy Plaza where the shooting of President J.F. Kennedy took place.



Still, I do enjoy my occasional trips back to Dallas to visit David, meet up with other relatives -- all of whom still live in Texas. Of all the cities in Texas I think that San Antonio and Dallas are among the prettiest and most interesting. It is interesting what makes up each of our worlds from day to day, from year to year.

49 comments:

Gaelyn said...

That first image is a real grabber. Never been to Dallas. Not too big on TX, but go to the Harlingen area every winter to see my folks, via Houston. What a wonderful tour through you memories Sylvia.

Christella D. Moody said...

The images captures the memories I have of Dallas. Good job.

Anonymous said...

Is that Mahler playing in the background, Sylvia? Love it!

The moment the asassination was announced over the PA system, I was sitting in a Latin class in high school. I remember putting my head down on my desk and weeping. I'll never forget that moment.

Ebie said...

Lovely Dallas Skyline! I have not been to Dallas, but Houston, and my current Boss worked in Dallas for a while and she has so many things to rave about the place. My office mate is from San Antonio and she talks a lot about the place.
And yes, I have read about that sad day.

Thanks for the tour and your trip down memory lane.

Hugs!

Sylvia K said...

Gigi, yes, that is Mahler. One of my favorites.

Thanks as always for the visit!

Janie said...

Interesting memories and tour through Dallas history.
I lived in Nacogdoches in the 80's and I've been to Dallas many times. I much prefer living out west.

Anonymous said...

Happy to learn about your part of the world. Beautiful is its landscape. Thanks for sharing.

Though i know the sad history, it never registered in my mind that it happened at Texas.Now i will not forget.

Since am an engineer, i have heard about Texas Instruments.

Reader Wil said...

Well thank you,Sylvia for this very interesting post. I learned a new piece of history today about Dallas. I can remember that 22nd of November 1963. It was about 6 pm here in Holland, and I was busy in my new house, waiting for my husband. It was on a Friday. I had no TV, but I heard the news of the assassination of President Kennedy on the radio. It was horrible. I do hope that this will not happen to your young president Obama.

Deborah Godin said...

I've never been to Dallas (except to change planes from Tampa to Calgary). Nice to know a bit more about your world!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for bringing back such fond memories of Dallas. I use to live there before I moved to Honolulu in 1986. Just a wonderful description and the pictures were awesome. Mahalo :)

shaker said...

The first one is wonderful !

annalarssonphotography said...

The first shot is OUTSTANDING!!!
Have a great week!
Anna

Eve said...

Dallas does have an interesting history. Thanks for sharing some of it!

bobbie said...

Your Dallas skyline is so beautiful in the sun.

Question: Why does your countdown say 4 more days?

??? said...

I'm too young to remember the JFK asassination (my first memory of such an event is Tchernobyl and Challenger), but it's still the first thing I think of when I hear Dallas. Now I have other things to remember, thanks to your post.

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers said...

I went cold as I read your post today, Sylvia. It's one of those eternal questions - where were you when JFK was assassinated. And you were right there in Dallas. The first image is certainly very beautiful and it looks like an attractive city.
Janice.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Sylvia: What a great story and loved the Presidents photo. I remember that happening so well and was at the university at that time also.

My name is Riet said...

IT is so wonderful to learn about different places and countries in the world. Now I know a little bit of Dallas. Thank you. I love that skyline the first of your lovely pictures.

B i r g i t t a said...

Dallas skyline is an awesome shot!
Have a nice week :)

Great Grandma Lin said...

interesting post, I think we all remember where we were when Kennedy was assasinated. Just like we do 9/11. My hubby's from Texas.

Joe Todd said...

Enjoyed the tour. I've always enjoyed Texas especially the "Hill Country"

Carver said...

Very interesting post. I was in elementary school when President Kennedy was assasinated and I still remember when our teacher told the class what had happened. Great city shot that you began the post with.

Unknown said...

It's interesting to go back to one's childhood. So you were there in November 1963. So many people remember where they were that day, but YOU were actually in Dallas. I can't imagine how shocked you must have been.

Snap said...

I was born in Dallas also. Not one of my favorite places! Well done!

Ramosforest.Environment said...

Your memories, World History.
Great your World.
Luiz Ramos

duopastorale said...

Interesting post and beautiful images :)

Anonymous said...

Nice to know a little more about you and the places that have been your World. Have a great week Sylvia.

Sistertex said...

Wow a spectactular post Sylvia! And the skyline photo is gorgeous. Wonderful world....

SandyCarlson said...

That skyline shot is a real stunner, Sylvia. All are amazing, though. What a beautiful world.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Great series of photographs. I was only in 4th grade when JFK was killed but it still seems like yesterday. Even in ultra conservative Utah people were shocked.

Anonymous said...

Wow, nice shots and an amazing JFK experience. I can't even imagine what an impact such a tragic event would have made in '63. Probably a lot like 9/11. Very sad story, the Kennedy family.

Jossie said...

Thank you for telling us about the history of Dallas. Very interesting. Your first photo is really beautiful and reminds me of Houston that I visited a few years ago. Texas absolutely has a latin feel!

Arija said...

The golden glow on the city is muted by the undercurrent of your narrative. The first photo is stunning and the history interesting, yet there is so much space between the lines that my heart grows heavy nobe the less.
I feel like hugging you to brush away some cobwebs.

Sylvia K said...

Thank you, Arija, for your lovely words. There is no doubt that there are some cobwebs remaining even after all these years. And I can always use a hug!

Have a lovely day, my dear friend.

Sylvia

eileeninmd said...

Beautiful sky over Dallas. Great series of photos.

Maurice Lauher said...

Thanks for sharing your world and thanks for all of your kind comments

Barb said...

I was in college, too, on that fated day in Nov. of 1963. Like you, I remember exactly where I was and how I found out about the shooting - it's one of those events, like 9/11, that remain in the collective memory.

Dallas has always been portrayed as a bigger than life city - you spent some important personal transitions there. Thanks for sharing a bit of the city's interesting history.

James said...

Dallas and the rest of Texas has a very interesting history. Those pictures look so familiar to me. Except I never did see Big Tex when I lived there. :)
Great post Sylvia!

chrome3d said...

Big Tex is the kinda Texas I would like to see more.

magiceye said...

that was an interesting story of dallas!

Marites said...

I've been to San Antonio and I find it pretty! The only place i've been to Dallas is their airport so I can't compare. I love the first pic. it's really beautiful! Nice captures!

Marvin said...

My memories of Dallas are few, but good. Visiting the state fair as a child was an amazing experience.

Lew said...

Sometimes, you can go home again. You have posted some great photos and interesting history. I think the Army is trying to make my daughter a permanent resident. She has been in El Paso, San Antonio and now Killeen.

Al said...

I love looking at the skyline Skyline, though I haven't visited Texas, it's rich history will make people come and visit.

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed it.

antigoni said...

I'm so happy i learnt so many beautiful things about Dallas and Texas. I knew that place only from J.F.K.'s assassination and from the TV series "Dallas".
Thanks for sharing.

Della said...

That was a lot of information on Dallas. Thank you!

Susan at Stony River said...

I love it when you share the history of the places you're showing us! So many amazing moments in your life too: imagine being in the very city on that awful day; amazing. On that very same day, halfway around the world in Belfast, a little boy I know was celebrating his fourth birthday: until the news came, and if you only knew how loved President Kennedy is over here--! That was the end of the birthdays... a bit of a family joke but sad too.

Anonymous said...

That's the nicest view of Dallas I've ever seen.

giorno26 ¸¸.•*¨*•. said...

Hi Sylvia
bellissima questa foto in primo piano di Dallas...
Fantastico il tramonto che si specchia sui vetri !
PS: Dov'è JR ?
Bye

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time