I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Retarded Grandparents

Today, like yesterday, is grim, gray, windy, rainy -- we even got nearly a half inch of sleet in between patches of sun which disappears as soon as it sees you smile. So, just in case you're having some of the same, I thought I should share this laugh that a friend sent me.

This was actually reported by a teacher.

After Christmas, a teacher asked her young pupils how they spent their holiday away from school. One child wrote the following:

We always used to spend the holidays with Grandma and Grandpa. They used to live in a big brick house but Grandpa got retarded and they moved to Florida ... Now they live in a tin box and have rocks painted green to look like grass. They ride around on their bicycles and wear name tags because they don't know who they are anymore. They go to a building called a wreck center, but they must have got it fixed because it is all okay now, they do exercises there, but they don't do them very well. There is a swimming pool too, but they all jump up and down in it with hats on.

At their gate, there is a doll house with a little old man sitting in it. He watches all day so nobody can escape. Sometimes they sneak out, and go cruising in their golf carts. Nobody there cooks, they just eat out. And, they eat the same thing every night --- early birds. Some of the people can't get out past the man in the doll house. The ones who do get out, bring food back to the wrecked center for pot luck.

My Grandma says that Grandpa worked all his life to earn his retardment and says I should work hard so I can be retarded someday too. When I earn my retardment, I want to be the man in the doll house. Then I will let people out, so they can visit their grandchildren.

17 comments:

Christella D. Moody said...

That is funny, especially since I live in one of those retarded places.

bobbie said...

A cute one, Sylvia.

Janie said...

Now that Steve has gotten retarded, we enjoy a lot of wreck-reation.
Funny one.

Sunny said...

As of my last birthday, I became semi-retarded!
Thanks for the chuckle.
Sunny :)

Grayquill said...

That is excellent...I always a appreciate a good belly laugh.
My favorite line..."I should work hard so I can be retarded someday too."
Sylvia - You are the best!

Great Grandma Lin said...

cute, I live in one of those..but no gatehouse.

Elizabeth Bradley said...

Thanks for the giggle.

Kay said...

Oh my gosh, Sylvia. This is hilarious! I guess I'm retarded too.

Anonymous said...

Love your writing and thoughts.
Thanks for sharing .

Loran said...

That was way cute. I wondered what I was going to read when I say the title.

Margie's Musings said...

Being fully retarded, I can appreciate that story!

Anonymous said...

Children certainly do have good vision. Lets not retire...Lets all become children...and play.

Jenn Jilks said...

Oh my. Sometimes retardment makes you feel retarded! It is a fine state of being, methinks!

Anonymous said...

While you were all have a big chuckle I was miffed. Even stop to consider how people with special needs ("the ones really called retarded") might feel about this story?
Yes, they are human beings with feelings and they get how this story mocks them.
Sure, call me being too p.c.
I just call myself a mom of a child with an intellectual disability who tries so hard every day to do the best she can. Shame on you for having a laugh at her expense.

Susan at Stony River said...

That's precious! So funny to see things through a child's eyes, then that last line can just slay you. Aw, they should visit more! I hope the man in the dollhouse lets them out! LOL

Sylvia, you know I have two special-needs kids. Just for the record, I wasn't offended at all, but come to think of it there probably isn't a joke or funny story in the world that won't offend somebody somewhere; all we can do is hope they forgive? I think laughing is worth the risk we take--especially when our best laughs are often at ourselves.
;-)

Sylvia K said...

Thank you, Susan! As you know, I would never post anything with the idea of laughing or poking fun at anyone, ever! And this was certainly not meant to offend anyone, but being a former teacher you hear such sweet, delightful things from children that are in no way meant to insult or make fun of anyone, it's just their way of expressing. I do so appreciate your words as you are one of the bravest, most open minded, courageous women that I know. Sometimes laughter is what saves us, if you can see it and allow it to lift you out of that dark place that many of us find ourselves for whatever reason.

Have a great week, my friend!

Sylvia

storyteller said...

LOL ... perfect! Thanks for the laughter ... hope you're having a wonderful week ;-)
Hugs and blessings,

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time