I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Monday, January 11, 2010

That's My World - The Cascades


That's My World is hosted each week by Klaus and the That's My World Team, Klaus, Sandy, Wren, Fishing Guy, Louise and myself. It's a fun place to share the beauty, the history and the interesting things about your world. Click on the icon, sign up and join the fun! PLEASE do read and follow the instructions before signing in! Thank you!! Enjoy!



One of the major points of interest in the northwest is the Cascades, a mountain range that covers a very large area in British Columbia, Washington, Oregon all the way to Northern California. It has a fascinating history as well as incredible beauty. Today I'll try to share a little of both! Photos courtesy of Google. Remember to click on any of the photos to embiggen!



The Cascade Range (or Cascades) is a major mountain range of western North America, extending from southern British Columbia through Washington and Oregon to Northern California. It includes both non-volcanic mountains, such as the North Cascades, and the notable volcanoes known as the High Cascades.



The Cascades are part of the Pacific Ring of Fire, the ring of volcanoes and associated mountains around the Pacific Ocean. All of the known historic eruptions in the contiguous United States have been from Cascade volcanoes. The two most recent were Lassen Peak in 1914 to 1921 and a major eruption of Mount St. Helens in 1980. Minor eruptions of Mount St. Helens have also occurred since, most recently in 2006.



Indigenous peoples have inhabited the area for thousands of years and developed their own myths and legends concerning the Cascades. According to some of these tales, Mounts Baker, Jefferson, and Shasta were used as refuge from a great flood. Other stories, such as the Bridge of the Gods tale, had various High Cascades such as Hood and Adams, act as god-like chiefs who made war by throwing fire and stone at each other. St. Helens with its pre-1980 graceful appearance, was regaled as a beautiful maiden for whom Hood and Adams feuded. Among the many stories concerning Mount Baker, one tells that the mountain was formerly married to Mount Rainier and lived in that vicinity. Then, because of a marital dispute, she picked herself up and marched north to her present position. Native tribes also developed their own names for the High Cascades and many of the smaller peaks, the most well-known to non-natives being Tahoma, the Lushootseed name for Mount Rainier.



For more fascinating history of the Cascades click here.



It's difficult to find a more beautiful place than the northwest and the Cascades are one of the many features that create that beauty.



Takes your breath away doesn't it?

48 comments:

Martha Z said...

It does take my breath away.
The native legends are interesting; they seem to be an attempt to explain natural phenomena.

Anonymous said...

They are just stunning. I loved the legends that you told. So interesting to read and see this beautiful part of the world. You are one lucky lady to live in that area :) Have a wonderful week ahead :)

Susan at Stony River said...

Wow, what beauty in those mountains. Thanks for the stories too!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your great post, I like both wonderful landscapes and stories.

( I am wondering, why I can not get links on the MyWorld page, it quite empty still or are they coming later on?? )

I wish you a happy day!

bobbie said...

Yes, it does take your breath away. what gorgeous country this is.

Crafty Green Poet said...

what wonderful photos, it really does look like a gorgeous area... I really like the idea of mountains getting married and then moving away from each other when they don't get on...

Sylvia K said...

Leena, no one can post on My World until 12PM Pacific Standard Time. You might want to try back at that time. Thanks for stopping by and for your comment! Have a great day!

Sylvia

eileeninmd said...

Great post and I would love to visit the waterfalls and see all those beautiful mountains.

Ebie said...

You have a place of beauty all seasons. I would wish to visit someday. Great post you have shared today. Fall season is my favorite time.

Gwendolyn L said...

Thanks for sharing the history around your photos. I enjoyed the history and your lovely photos.

Carver said...

It really does take my breath away. Very interesting post and fantastic shots of a gorgeous part of the world.

robin andrea said...

It sure is beautiful there, sylvia. We never did make it over to the Cascades when we were living in Port Townsend, something we regret. Maybe someday we'll take a trip north again. I was reading online yesterday that the Cascades begin just south of Mt. lassen here in California (as you mentioned), and it really surprised me. I thought the Sierras went all the way to the Oregon border. What a magnificent range, those Cascades.

Unknown said...

The northwest is so beautiful. I can see why you like living there.

My name is Riet said...

What a beautiful country you live in. And I learned some more today. Thank you

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers said...

Yes, it takes my breath away too. And I'm always fascinated by the mythology of the native American peoples.
Janice.

Rajesh said...

Very beautiful & scenic. I love the shots of cascades, lovely variety.

Xavi said...

I especially like the first picture, looks like a painting!
Thanks again for visiting my blog.
Hope you have a happy week, Sylvia!

Xavi

Anonymous said...

As you know, I love the Pacific North West, so for me it's a great pleasure to learn a little more and to see those wonderful pics of a most spectacular part of the World.

Anonymous said...

It is a breathtaking place. I wish to see all of this someday.

Kay said...

Those are incredible photos you selected for us Sylvia, especially the first one. Wow! It does take your breath away.

Peter Molz said...

Good to learn about America via these nice fotostories! :-)

Jacqui said...

Completely captivating pictures Sylvia. That bridge shot made me dizzy!
loved catching up with your blog. xx

Chris said...

A truely wonderful place Sylvia and your photos are great. I wish I could visit.

Anonymous said...

This post made me feel like I was seeing a dream or heaven on earth - I couldn't decide between the two. Wow - just beautiful, Sylvia!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful sceneries. Really breath taking.

B i r g i t t a said...

Definitely breathtaking :)
Take care and have a wonderful week!

Indrani said...

Such lovely shots! The cascades are truly mesmerizing.

ninja said...

Truly magnificent place!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful country, Sylvia. Definitely going on my "want to visit" list.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Sylvia: That certainly is a beautiful part of our country. and it is so green because of your rainfall.

Janie said...

It is breathtaking, indeed. You found some gorgeous photos to share, and the Native American stories about the mountains are fascinating.

Lee Spangler said...

Ahhh, there's no place like home. Btw, any idea who named the Cascades, the Cascades?

Anonymous said...

hey sylvia...agreed. enjoyed the post.
have a fab week.
hugs

SandyCarlson said...

Your photos remind me of how small my world is. Thanks for the magic of your side of the island, Sylvia.

God bless.

Sistertex said...

Oh...totally gorgeous photos. Beautiful place.

Can't wait to get out there someday and explore.

Dimple said...

It's wonderful country, I love living so close!

Eden said...

What a beautiful place! Love to visit there one if given a chance.

Lew said...

Tiz a beautiful place, Sylvia!

magiceye said...

so colorful and fascinating!

Carolyn Ford said...

It's like another world! What amazing photography of such an gorgeous corner of our world! Fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Wow - The Cascades are really stunning and breath-taking! Like a secret magic valley tucked away from the rest of the world.

Coffeedoff said...

It is an amazing place and one that I would love to see!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I returned to read this post again ... this area of the world is beautiful indeed and I have fond memories of camping in various parts of the Cascades ... doing some serious hiking when I was younger. One of these days I'm going to dig out those 35mm slides and have them transferred to DVDs so I can enjoy and perhaps share them on my blogs. Thanks for the memories and have a lovely day Sylvia.
Hugs and blessings,

Helena said...

Your photos are truly breathtaking!

Mary E. Trimble said...

Your blog is great and the pictures stunning. We love the northwest, too. My three novels are all based here. My latest release, Tenderfoot, is a romantic suspense with the sub-plot of the 1980 Mount St. Helens eruption. The research was so interesting. www.MaryTrimbleBooks.com

Ramosforest.Environment said...

Beautiful your tradition and World.

George said...

Thanks for the information and beautiful pictures of the Cascades. I would truly like to visit that area.

NatureFootstep said...

strange, I was not aware that teh Cascades was that high ana so much wilderness. Thanks for enlightening me. So beautiful!

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time