I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Carnation milk - 65 Years Ago!

A cute little lady from Iowa had worked in and around her family dairy farms since she was old enough to walk, with hours of hard work and little compensation. When canned Carnation Milk became available in grocery stores in approximately the 1940s, she read an advertisement offering $5,000 for the best slogan.

The producers wanted a rhyme beginning with 'Carnation Milk is best of all.'
She thought to herself, I know all about milk and dairy farms. I can do this!
She sent in her entry, and several weeks later, a black limo pulled up in front of her house. A man got out and said, 'Carnation LOVED your entry so much, we are here to award you $2,000 even though we will not be able to use it!'


12 comments:

elvira pajarola said...

....after I did your new exercises of your last post...(soo qiute..) I'm still smiling and continue to smile so much about the lovely old lady;....I don't want to smile alone: I have to translate this little story immediately in Italien to my hubby...he'll smile with me!!!!!
have a wonderful evening; Sylvia!!

ciao ciao elvira

Michael Horvath said...

You is bad Sylvia.

bobbie said...

That's one of the funniest I've heard in quite a while.

Unknown said...

You made me laugh with this one, Sylvia!

Susan at Stony River said...

That's an excellent slogan; I wonder why on earth they don't use it *nowadays*? ROFL

$5,000 back then would have bought the whole farm. But the little verse has a cool history itself. (I love things like this!)

Sylvia K said...

Oh, that's so funny, Susan! I always figure things like this are probably so screwed up, made up or whatever, but some of them are still funny.

Anonymous said...

ROFLMAO. That made the kink in my neck go away. ROFLMAO

Jenny said...

Totally funny and unexpected. Neat blog!

magiceye said...

hilarious!!

Janie said...

Hilarious! Love the neck exercises below, too.

chrome3d said...

They knew good stuff in the 40´s too.

jabblog said...

That is priceless!! We both giggled at it!

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time