I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Sunday, November 23, 2008

A Little Early Thanksgiving Humor

This isn't my story, but one a friend sent and I could relate!

One November afternoon when my daughter was in kindergarten, I
Picked her up after school. She bobbed out to the car and crawled into
The back seat.

"What did you do today?" I asked.

She couldn't wait to tell me. "We learned that boys are
Different from girls" she chirped. Looking into the rearview mirror I
Could just see the top of her head. "My teacher told us that boys have a
Thing the girls don't," she added.

"Well, yes they do..." I said cautiously.

Then she piped up again. "That's how girls know that boys are
Boys," she said. "They see that thing hanging down and they know that
he's a boy..." I mentally calculated the distance home. Our five-minute
Commute already felt like an hour.

"Did you know that when the boys see a girl they puff up?"

My palms were beginning to sweat. "Um...well.." I was still
Searching for something to say, to change the subject, when she asked,
"Why do the girls like boys to have those things?" Well I didn't know
What to say. I mean, what woman hasn't asked herself that very same
Question at least once? "Oh, well...um..." I stammered.

She didn't wait for my answer. She had her own. "It's cause it
Moves when they walk and when girls see that they know they're boys and
that's when they like them. Then the boy sees the girl and he puffs up,
Then the girl really knows he likes her too. And then they get married.
And then they get cooked."

That last part confused me a bit, but on the whole I thought she
Had a pretty good grasp on things. As soon as we got home she hopped out
Of the car, fishing something out of her school bag. "I drew a picture,"
She said. "...you want to see?"

I wasn't all that sure I did, but I looked anyway. I had to sit
Down. There, all puffed up so to speak, looking mighty attractive for
The ladies, was a crayon drawing of a great big Tom Turkey. His snood,
The thing that hangs down over his beak, the thing that female turkeys
Find so irresistible, was magnificent. His tail feathers were standing
Tall and proud.

She was a little offended that I laughed so hard at her drawing.
I laughed until I cried. But I told her I loved it - and I did - and she
Got over her pique. That was the end of that... For her anyway. But I'm
Not so lucky. Every year I remember that conversation, and to be honest
I haven't looked at a turkey or a man the same way since.

HAVE A HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

8 comments:

Kay Dennison said...

LOL!!! Amazing!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

That is going to be with me for a long time!!!

wispy willow said...

giggle, snicker, snort. Good one!

Great Grandma Lin said...

that is so funny...we as parents always put off those conversations until it's too late. my mom came to me the night before my marriage and asked if i knew about "IT." I said yes, guessing that it was human intimacy of which my mom and i had never mentioned but i had taken a class in college. so i'm laughing at your joke with other memories involved...

Anonymous said...

Sylvia, thanks for making me laugh after a bad evening. What a relief to find out what was in the picture.

Kay said...

Thank you for the laughter. I did, of course, have to read this to my husband.

storyteller said...

This is a WONDERFUL story … most appropriate for Thanksgiving. Thanks for sharing the laughter ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Linda Reeder said...

Great and funny story!

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time