I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Friday, November 28, 2008

One Down, Two to Go!

Thanksgiving is now behind us and we can all start looking forward to the next winter holiday, Christmas! Here in Seattle the big shopping began – can you believe this? At 4 AM! That’s when many of the big stores and malls opened! I don’t know about you, but I’ll pass! I really don’t like to shop any time, but certainly not this time of year and I don’t feel pressured to do so even for Christmas because – first of all, I have no grandchildren and we made such a big deal out of Christmas when all four of our kids were little, anything now would seem paltry. I sewed clothes and made toys for most of November and early December for many years. Now days we prefer to spend the money on plane tickets so as many of us as possible can spend the holidays together.

This morning I was catching up on some columns from the New York Times and got a real kick out of Gail Collins column from yesterday regarding counting our blessings. No, it most definitely is not going to be the brightest and best holiday season ever, but we still have things to be thankful for – great time to buy a condo in Reno, or a plane ticket to or from Dallas or Disney World! Bargains do, indeed, abound!

And we are the insolvent innocents! Retirement funds evaporated and who knows how we’ll celebrate birthdays in the coming years, but we can always take comfort in the fact that it wasn’t our fault! If it had been left to us, the subprime derivative never would have been invented in the first place and a clean conscience is worth more than all the golden parachutes, indoor squash courts and $13 million vacation houses around the world. And we can also be thankful we’re not in Iceland!

And then the really big blessing! George Bush is almost gone! Sure wish he’d stop dragging his feet though and just get on with it and bless Crawford, Texas with his presence.

And there’s Barack Obama! Now he’s a major blessing! in spite of everyone trying to second guess him with regard to his appointments. Maybe we should just focus on being grateful we aren’t widely respected economists ourselves, because like Collins, I feel God only knows what they’re going to do with this latest hairball

So, enjoy the holiday movies, be grateful you’re not related to Ashlee Simpson who just named her baby Bronx Mowgli????? And although we can never feel quite the same about turkey after that Sarah Palin video, lighten up! Start planning Christmas dinner and try to figure out how you can afford a bottle of bubbly for New Years Eve.

As for me, I’m going to kick back and watch Il Divo and wish to hell I was fifty years younger – well, at least for as long as the DVD lasts!

5 comments:

Dianne said...

I have always found Black Friday to be so awful - kind of like a theatrical production of how twisted our values are!

david mcmahon said...

The big shopping began at 4am? Seriously?

Linda Reeder said...

My shopping today was going to the grocery store. It was not busy.
Today we'll start decorating for Christmas. tom is getting the outdoor lights up, my favorite thing on these short, dark days.

Great Grandma Lin said...

hey we are still vacationing and not thinking about christmas-have done some fun genealogy...

Kay said...

You know... I was actually out there. There was a 8 gig flash drive being sold for $14.99 at Office Depot and I couldn't pass it up. Unfortunately, I also bought the 16 gig flash drive and the 8 gig memory card. Sigh... Then I went home and napped.

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time