I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Friday, December 5, 2008

A New Face for America?

The past eight years has seen the United States drop to the bottom of the list as far as many other countries are concerned – one more “gift” from the Bush-Cheney reign. But few have been as destructive as America’s refusal to join the world’s first permanent war crimes court at The Hague. That snub has become a symbol of U.S. contempt for the rule of law.

In one of his last acts as president, Roger Cohen writes in an Op-Ed piece for the NYT, Bill Clinton signed the founding treaty of the International Criminal Court, but the signature never led to U.S. ratification. On the contrary, President Bush withdrew the signature. Why doesn’t that surprise me? And that unbelievable “unsigning” was followed by an aggressive campaign to oblige countries to make a formal commitment, under threat of U.S. reprisals, never to surrender U.S. citizens to the court.

The effect of U.S. rejection of the court, combined with the trashing of habeas corpus at Guantanamo Bay, as been devastating. Allies from Canada to Germany that are court members have been dismayed by the U.S. dismissal of an institution they see doing evident good.

Other smaller nations from Latin America to Africa, browbeaten by the U.S. on the issue of the court, have looked elsewhere for lost military or financial support. The American idea, grounded in legal, has been undermined.

Obama recognizes and supports the I.C.C.’s efforts to investigate and prosecute those responsible for atrocities in Sudan. That is, according to Cohen, a good start and a good signal. To be sure, only by our aligning America again with international law can the damage inflicted on America’s image and appeal by the Bush administration be undone.

We have a long way to go to repair the damage done to our country’s world image by the Bush/Cheney regime, but this would be a start.

8 comments:

Kay said...

It is frightening to think how much damage those two men were able to do to our country. It's even more frightening to me to think that almost half of our country do not understand it.

Rinkly Rimes said...

I think it's a shame that the American people have been tarnished by a few wrong'uns. And we've all got them. Don't forget Americans are the greatest givers of Aid in the world. And don't forget that people would love to be Americans!

June Saville said...

Sylvia I think Rinkly may be a little behind the times here? Or not wishing to look at reality? (Sorry Rinkly)
Speaking from my little spot in Oz, I think that people outside your country understand that what has happened has not been the doing of the ordinary Joe in the street. However, Joe does have a responsibility to inform himself and act individually in some way to right the situation. (Even writing to newspapers would help.)
So much has been done in Joe's name it's horrifying. I really hope you all work together to help make this change. (I'm doing my bit right now!)
In friendship
June

Great Grandma Lin said...

that's what makes america great the opportunity to express differing points of view. the check and balance is that if we don't like an elected official we can elect another one in his/her place. it's a great place to live but not perfect.

Kay Dennison said...

One of Obama's biggest jobs is restoring our credibility and respect on the world stage.

Margie's Musings said...

So true..and last week, we were the only first world country that did not sign the ban on using land mines. What a tragedy!

maryt/theteach said...

I agree, Sylvia. But I hope Obama and his new Cabinet will begin the process of renewal. I'm sure he will.

Gretchen said...

Is it January 20 yet? I can't wait to see the eviction team moving those POS out of the White House.

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time