I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Saturday, December 6, 2008

The Pros and Cons of Exercise

I find myself frequently looking at the pros and cons of getting old, never mind exercise and I find that there are plenty of both -- okay, okay, maybe the cons have the lead much of the time. But whatever, I do try to look for the humor in aging because laughter is always good for you -- whatever age, whether you exercise or not. But I found this the other day and decided to sandwich it in between all the downers I've been writing about lately.

Walking can add minutes to your life.This enables you at 85 years old to spend an additional 5 months in a nursing home at $7000 per month.

My grandpa started walking five miles a day when he was 60. Now he's 97 years old and we don't know where he is.

I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.

The only reason I would take up walking is so that I could hear heavy breathing again.

I have to walk early in the morning, before my brain figures out what I'm doing.

I joined a health club last year, spent about 400 bucks. Haven't lost a pound. Apparently you have to go there.

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

I do have flabby thighs, but fortunately my stomach covers them.

The advantage of exercising every day is so when you die, they'll say, 'Well, she looks good doesn't she.'

If you are going to try cross-country skiing, start with a small country.

I know I got a lot of exercise the last few years, just getting over the hill.

We all get heavier as we get older, because there's a lot more information in our heads.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

AND -- every time I start thinking too much about how I look, I just find a Happy Hour and by the time I leave, I look just fine.

You could run this over to your friends -- on second thought, just e-mail it to them!

6 comments:

magiceye said...

lol! offers so much comfort!!

Lilly said...

This is exactly the post I needed to read today. Thank you Sylvia - I hate exercise but its a must I know - moving around at least in some shape or form. Oh, the issue is aging happens quickly - my grandmother used to tell me that and of course it meant nothing then. Its more than a state of mind when things start to get creaky and they are for me. But hey we all do it and thats life so its best to focus on the positives for everything we face in our day. We are breathing still and now I know what the beneifts of exercise are or are not I am happy....too funny.

June Saville said...

Great minds think alike Sylvia - I just posted a pic of me and my new bike on 70 Plus and Still Kicking.
It's my way of keeping fit as you know - but it's also a partial response to keeping the Australian economy afloat!
Cheers
June

Kay said...

Too too funny. Sigh.... I actually believe in some of them except that my family won't let me.

Michael Horvath said...

Your stuff is a riot Sylvia.

Anonymous said...

Oh, those are all good! Thanks for the laugh.

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time