I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Friday, December 19, 2008

Christmas Around the World

A friend sent me some remarkable pictures of Christmas around the world. I won't do them all at once, but I thought it would be fun to do a couple each day until Christmas. The ones from here in the states we've all seen, but they're still lovely. The ones from all around the world are really spectacular.



Before the ball drops in Times Square, the Big Apple turns on its
holiday charm with the Christmas tree in Rockefeller Center.



The Capitol Christmas tree in Washington, D.C., is decorated with 3,000
ornaments that are the handiwork of U.S. schoolchildren. Encircling
evergreens in the 'Pathway of Peace' represent the 50 U.S. states.



The world's largest Christmas tree display rises up the slopes of Monte Ingino outside of Gubbio, in Italy's Umbria region. Composed of about 500 lights connected by 40,000 feet of wire, the 'tree' is a modern marvel for an ancient city.

8 comments:

Redzlan said...

Beautiful Christmas trees.
Happy Holiday!

Margie's Musings said...

Aren't those lovely!!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Slyvia: What really neat Christmas displays.

bobbie said...

Someone sent me this series too. Aren't they wonderful?!

Great Grandma Lin said...

fun, love the tree on the mountain in italy. fun idea for a post, keep them coming.

Merisi said...

While I know all three places well, I have never seen the lighted Christmas tree in Gubbio (a beautiful town per se!).

Every year at Christmas time, we would visit the Capitol Christmas tree in DC and the one in front of the White House. The children loved to watch the giant Jule Log burn away and the creche and real reindeers. The last Christmas before we moved, I took all our four kids up to New York early on New Year's Day, and we savoured the lighted city for a couple of days, including Rockefeller Plaza's Christmas tree.

Thank you for the memories! :-)
Merry Christmas!

Dianne said...

each one is so beautiful Sylvia

thanks!!

The Good Life in Virginia said...

nice post...and the pics are wonderful of christmas around the world.
thanks for sharing with us.

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time