I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

We Can Help!

This is a blog that I follow and it only takes $10 to help. His blog address is http://soaringimpulse.blogspot.com/ I don't have a lot of money, but I can do this. I hope you will join me in helping to save the lives of so many.

You can check out this website and donate there. NothingButNets.net

This is the letter posted on Maithri's blog.
My friends,

In the last 24 hours, three thousand children died of an eminently preventable disease....

Malaria.

Another three thousand will die in the next 24 hours, because of the same disease.
I want to talk today about what you and I can do, to help... Its a lot easier than you may think.

Lets start with the basic information we all need to know, (NB: i dont want this to be a lecture on the life cycle of 'plasmodium', or the development of 'merozoites' - i just want to tell you what i think is important for every human being to know about the impact of this disease on humanity) ....

Malaria is caused by a parasite which is spread by a particular species of mosquito (the anopheles mosquito). The disease is often fatal if not treated appropriately and in adequate time.

90% of the million people that die of Malaria each year are little children.


In fact every 30 seconds, a child dies of malaria.

In addition to children, the people most at risk of malaria are those in the poorest areas. People in refugee camps and flood affected areas.

These are breeding grounds for the anopheles mosquito.

Refugees in Sudan, Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda who have fled their own countries to escape persecution, violence and war are all at very high risk of contracting malaria.

All it takes is one mosquito bite.

The majority of these stings happen at night while people are fast asleep.

And now for the most important part of this brief discussion.... Malaria IS preventable.

Studies estimate that 70 to 90% of malarial transmissions can be reduced by the use of a simple insecticide impregnated bed net.

The insecticide in the nets kills the mosquitos responsible for transmission of malaria and last for years. Now even if a child plays with the net and it becomes torn in some places, the mosquitos dont enter because of the insecticide....

A mosquito net for a bed.... costs $10.


Think about that for a moment.

The pain of this world runs deep, but often the solutions are far simpler than we might imagine...

I dont see the point in beating our chests and wallowing in sorrow, when we can be part of the solution....I never have.

So, on that note I'm gonna go purchase a couple of these nets right now and read more about how we can all make a difference to the lives of those affected by this disease from these great websites. Maybe I'll see you there ;)

http://www.nothingbutnets.net/

http://www.malarianomore.org/

Sometimes the heartache in this world seems like a raging river.

Impossible to overcome.

But I believe that every day we have the choice, to either add one more tear to the flood....

or to pick ourselves up,

and start building a bridge.

Here's to you Bridge builder,

Love the world into change,

Maithri

1 comment:

Susan at Stony River said...

What a wonderful cause--thank you for passing this along!

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time