I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

How Corrupt is America?

Thomas Friedman has an excellent OpEd column regarding just how corrupt this country has become. I've avoided writing anything lately about the government, Wall Street and the mess we now find ourselves wallowing in, but he says things very well, I respect his opinion and it is worth reading the entire article. Here is just a piece of it.

"The stranger, a Western businessman, slipped into the chair next to me at an Asia Society lunch here in Hong Kong and asked me a question that I can honestly say I’ve never been asked before: “So, just how corrupt is America?”

His question was occasioned by the arrest of the Wall Street money manager Bernard Madoff on charges of running a Ponzi scheme that bilked investors out of billions of dollars, but it wasn’t only that. It’s the whole bloody mess coming out of Wall Street — the financial center that Hong Kong moneymen had always looked up to. How could it be, they wonder, that such brand names as Bear Stearns, Lehman Brothers and A.I.G. could turn out to have such feet of clay? Where, they wonder, was our Securities and Exchange Commission and the high standards that we had preached to them all these years?

The Madoff affair is the cherry on top of a national breakdown in financial propriety, regulations and common sense. Which is why we don’t just need a financial bailout; we need an ethical bailout. We need to re-establish the core balance between our markets, ethics and regulations. I don’t want to kill the animal spirits that necessarily drive capitalism — but I don’t want to be eaten by them either."

No,I don't want to be eaten by them either. What I do want to see is some kind of honor, morals -- whatever you want to call it return to the way this country operates, the way it treats it citizens. Is that asking too much? I surely hope not and I hope that with Obama's leadership we will see that "new day" in our country. I think the rest of the world is hoping for that, too.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another good one. You really find good stuff out there that I'm sure I would otherwise miss. You're doing a real "public service" Sylvia!

Linda Reeder said...

I haven't read Freedman yet today - stuff got in the way-but it is sitting on my recliner waiting for me to get back to it. I respect him too.
While I believe there has always been corruption in our economic system, Reaganomics started a downward slide into an increase in corruption that boomed under Bush II. The world is wating for us to clean up our act.

Great Grandma Lin said...

it's human nature-corruption and greed, wars and disputes and goes on in all countries...

Margie's Musings said...

As you have heard me say many time...capitalism is greed driven. These events just prove my point.

Rain Trueax said...

Yes, it makes a person wonder. Small towns aren't any different contrary to what Palin implied. I had a friend who did construction and said you pay somebody off for the jobs or you don't work in the nearby small towns. It's humans, not a big city or small one. It has been rewarded and until that stops happening, it won't change.

Joy said...

I hope we aren't so far gone that we can't restore some honesty, integrity, and ethics in our country if it's ever been there. They kept saying during the campaign that America was founded on ideas, which I thought was interesting. Your comments about capitalism, greed, and corruption were right on target.

Kay said...

I'm with you, Sylvia. It's so aggravating that our previous governor Blagojevich has become so corrupt, when he was the one who said he was going to clean everything up. Who knows? Maybe he was always corrupt...

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time