I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Friday, December 19, 2008

The Difficult Award



I was given this "award" by Busy Man with a Quiet Mind -- not sure why unless for the same reason it was given to him -- because it's time for a public confession lol! I told him it would take a little time because I, too, will have to try and take a long look at me -- never easy!
Here goes!

1. Like the Busy Man, I find myself frequently using the word "shit" -- when the many day to day frustrations of growing old get to me -- harder to get up and down, to climb stairs, not being able to move at a dead run as I did most of my life and I do hate having to slow down. Consequently, if you were around me very much you'd probably get really tired of hearing the that particular word!

2. I'm not in favor of double standards -- I'm sure that doesn't surprise anyone who knows me!

3. I never thought about having children because as many of you know, I'd been assured it would be impossible. So, even though I was a teacher and loved the kids I taught, I convinced myself early on that I loved them because I didn't have to deal with them 24/7 -- when school was out I was a free woman! Well, of course, I ended up with four kids of my own in spite of what I was told and still consider each one a miracle and the source of more joy than I can put in words.

4. I have another thing in common with my friend -- foolish pride -- another ongoing battle!

5. I didn't have a close relationship with my parents and assumed that was because I was always a big disappointment to them. I've had a difficult time coming to terms with that over the years, saw myself as lacking, being unworthy -- all that other foolish stuff that some of us do to ourselves. But these days when I look at my kids I figure I must have done something right and that I am a good person, even if I have trouble believing it now and then.

6. Also, like my friend, God seems to treat me like a fish -- every time I screw up, he catches me and throws me back in the water. Guess he wants me to swim better too!

7. I don't lie unless the truth would cause someone pain they didn't deserve.

8. I haven't had any really bad things to deal with etc. drinking, drugs etc. but I have had some long battles with depression off and on during my life until I finally recognized and realized who I really was/am.

9. I do believe there is life after death -- my own version, I guess, as I haven't been affiliated with organized religion in many years and have no intention of changing that. I feel each of us has to decide those things for themselves and I have no difficulty respecting other people's beliefs -- just hope they can do the same for me. It is a very personal choice in my eyes.

10. When I have asked people to describe me, the words they have used were/are: committed, loving, generous, dependable, understanding, loyal, funny, quirky, intelligent and devoted. Now, having quoted them, lets hope they all feel as strongly as I do about not lying unless the truth would hurt someone! I'm smiling, of course!

I was going to nominate Lilly for this award, but my friend beat me to her!
So, I nominate:
June of 70 plus and still kicking
Dianne of Forks off the Moment
Joy from Babble On
Deborah of Notes From the Cloud Messenger
Peggy of Musings of Meggie

6 comments:

Peggy said...

Sylvia;
Thank you for nominating me! My first ever.
I'm not sure what I have to do, but I'll try and figure it out!

Thank you again...I'm so tickled!

Sucharita Sarkar said...

What a candid, open post. It is not always easy to talk about oneself so introspectively in a public space, but you have done it so well. Congratulations on the award!

Great Grandma Lin said...

it's good we are allowed to grow old so we can learn and discover ourselves. I'm reading an interesting book right now called Something More-Excavating your Authentic Self by Sarah Ban Breathach. Fascinating book...life teaches us to finally appreciate ourselves.

Susan at Stony River said...

Wow, Sylvia, what a difficult post that seems to be. Your friend chose a good person for the award, because your answers were inspiring!

Your mention of your parents interested me most, because I grew up with two parents who adored me and had huuuuge expectations for me; I ran into a difficult adolescence and became worse in my twenties, and while my mother always dreamed I'd be a famous writer, I didn't publish anything or win any awards until after she'd passed away.

It was only much after the fact that I realised there was a reason...that all my life those expectations had paralysed me.

Yes, I'd say you've done a great job, getting four great kids raised! Congratulations on them, and I hope you have Happy Holidays with them too!

Anonymous said...

Sylvia, I'm just blown away - thank you!! And I'm very pleased to call you not only a much-respected fellow blogger, but friend as well! I will do my best to follow this award tradition, and post something soon!

wispy willow said...

I think I need a minute to cath my breath.

This was a great way to spend some time this evening. You are a many layered woman, Sylvia. I can't begin to tell you what fun it was to peel some of the layers and discover more of the "inner you".

I also appreciate how open and candid you are. Lacking and unworthy are NOT words that would ever come to mind in describing you. Funny, quirky, devoted, intelligent... those seem like a good fit. As does insightful, thoughtful, talented... I'm also thihking you mayt be a tad stubborn. Are you? Wait, maybe that's where committed comes in.

Anyway... I thoroughly enjoyed this read. Please give Busy Man with a Quiet Mind my vote of thanks.

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time