I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Monday, January 5, 2009

Happily, He's Almost Gone!



Frank Rich has an excellent OpEd piece this morning and I urge you to read it. This is just a glimpse.

"We like our failed presidents to be Shakespearean, or at least large enough to inspire Oscar-worthy performances from magnificent tragedians like Frank Langella. So here, too, George W. Bush has let us down. Even the banality of evil is too grandiose a concept for 43. He is not a memorable villain so much as a sometimes affable second banana whom Josh Brolin and Will Ferrell can nail without breaking a sweat. He's the reckless Yalie Tom Buchanan, not Gatsby. He is smaller than life.

The last NBC/Wall Street Journal poll on Bush's presidency found that 79 percent of Americans will not miss him after he leaves the White House. He is being forgotten already, even if he's not yet gone. You start to pity him until you remember how vast the wreckage is. It stretches from the Middle East to Wall Street and even into the heavesn, which have been a saafe haven for toxins under his passive stewardship. The discrepancy between the grandeur of the failure and the stature of the man is a puzzlement. We are still trying to compute it."

The whole article is worth reading. It just makes me wonder all over again how this man was ever elected president -- but then he wasn't really, was he? More squirrelly politics and too many people not paying attention, too much shoulder shrugging. I do hope we've learned the lesson to be learned here. And I hope somewhere along the line we get an improved voting system.

4 comments:

Lilly said...

And to think Sylvia that I just read that George Bush snr has said how he would like to see his younger son Jeb became President because he would be great for the country.

It is so unbelievable what George jnr has done and the mockery he has made of the office, the country and the people. the damage is unquantifiable.

The most awful part is he will never have to pay for his sins. Well in this life anyway. I will go read the article now.

Margie's Musings said...

I will read it too, Lilly. It's unimaginable what a terrible mess Bush has made out of our country, it's economy and it's reputation. I have read that Jeb is the smart Bush. The others have all made a mess of heir lives. But Jeb's Florida fiasco is part of what made Bush our president. That and the Supreme Court.

I too hope the American people have learned something from the president's fiasco. Maybe they will pay closer attention in the future.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link ... I've bookmarked it and will read it later, but this morning I'm focused on catching up if at all possible. As usual, you've hit the nail on the head for me regarding George Bush. I can't help but wonder where we'd be today if he hadn't 'stolen' the Presidency from Gore 8 years ago even as I embrace hope for our future.
Hugs and blessings,

Joy said...

Someone compared W with Prince Hal, but I can't remember the article. I don't understand why these greedy bastards won't be punished. It's happened for MUCH LESS! They need to be tried for war crimes, and that's just the beginning!

His only redeeming quality is how he appears to feel about Laura and his daughters.

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time