I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Sunday, January 4, 2009

A New Award!


Inspiration for the Van Gogh's Ear Award

You may know the story of Vincent Van Gogh a well known artist in history. Although a brilliant painter in his later years went quite insane he received the nickname of fou roux ("the redheaded madman"). The most bazaar of Vincent's behavior is when he cut off the lower part of his own left ear lobe, which he wrapped in newspaper and gave to a prostitute named Rachel in the local brothel, asking her to "keep this object carefully. After this he suffered recurrent bouts of mental illness, which led to his suicide July 29, 1890 he was 37 years old. His works of art are priceless.


The point of this award.

We are all artist in are own way be it art, photography, writing, philosophy, comedy, blogging and we all go a little crazy sometimes. But if you ever feel so crazy to cut off your ear and give it to a prostitute "Seek Help"!


Always remember you're unique.
Just like everyone else.

Roger passed the award to so many wonderful people but there are a few that I would like to pass the award to...

And I was one! And so very honored this morning to receive this Van Gogh award from Mary at Work of the Poet, who has such an inspiring website. I've certainly been encouraged to use my camera (actually Adams) more and more and it's just added to the fun of blogging.

I would like to pass this on to those who have also inspired me -- you don't have to do a thing but accept the praise of your work and share it with others if you like.

CR at Little Bang Theory
Deborah at Notes from the Cloud Messenger
Rob at Inukshuk Adventure
Susan at This Irish Photographer
Thank you to Mary and to all of you!

10 comments:

bobbie said...

Well deserved, Sylvia!

Darlene said...

Congratulations on your award, Sylvia. It is well earned.

I am not a fan of Van Gogh paintings, but my daughter is and has his prints hanging on her walls. I prefer Renoir.

Susan at Stony River said...

Congratulations!

What an interesting inspiration for an award--and thank you so much for sharing it with me, I feel like flowers were just delivered to my door! It's so sweet!

Linda Reeder said...

Congrats, Sylvia. You are a deserving blogger!

Anonymous said...

A perfect award for you - you are indeed an very artistic and an inspiring person to know! I alwasy know I'll going to read and see something cool, interesting, challenging, beautiful, funny, touching... when I visit here.

(And thanks for passing it along, I'm delighted!)

Anonymous said...

My brother was an artist and art teacher. People said his brushwork was like that of Van Gogh, and they said this even before he became familiar with Van Gogh's art!

Sadly, my brother passed away a few years ago because of hepatitis. Why do all the talented ones die so soon?

Judy said...

Congratulations Sylvia. It is a well deserved award.

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your award. I love the ear. I'm not sure how I stumbled into your space, but I like it!

Anonymous said...

Well done on receiving this award, Sylvia. You most certainly are worthy.

I'm humbled and thrilled that you passed it on to me. Thank you.

storyteller said...

Congratulations on your well-deserved award. Isn't Roger one of the most creative bloggers ever?
Hugs and blessings,

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time