I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Ah, How Time Flies -- Like it or Not!

Last night I watched a really old movie starring Julie Andrews and Rock Hudson titled Darling Lili, from 1970. She was so young and so beautiful! And then I remembered that sometime ago, to commemorate her birthday, she made a special appearance at Manhattan’s Radio City Music Hall for the benefit of the AARP.

One of the musical numbers she performed was 'My Favorite Things' from the legendary movie 'Sound Of Music'. I'm sure you've heard it, but the lyrics she used are still a hoot and fun to hear again. I thought I'd pass them around to share an "all too true" look at aging. Damn! just why I can find humor in that I'm not sure, but I am sure it's better to laugh about it than cry!


(Sing It!) - If you sing it, it’s especially hysterical!!!

Botox and nose drops and needles for knitting,
Walkers and handrails and new dental fittings,
Bundles of magazines tied up in string,
These are a few of my favorite things.

Cadillacs and cataracts, hearing aids and glasses,
Polident and Fixodent and false teeth in glasses,
Pacemakers, golf carts and porches with swings,
These are a few of my favorite things.

When the pipes leak, When the bones creak,
When the knees go bad,
I simply remember my favorite things,
And then I don't feel so bad.

Hot tea and crumpets and corn pads for bunions,
No spicy hot food or food cooked with onions,
Bathrobes and heating pads and hot meals they bring,
These are a few of my favorite things.

Back pain, confused brains and no need for sinnin',
Thin bones and fractures and hair that is thinnin',
And we won't mention our short shrunken frames,
When we remember our favorite things.

When the joints ache, When the hips break,
When the eyes grow dim,
Then I remember the great life I've had,
And then I don't feel so bad.

8 comments:

Susan at Stony River said...

Priceless! I hadn't heard that, and I loved it. Thanks for passing it on!

Anonymous said...

Too funny! This is one to post on the inside of the medicine cabiniet door, if we dare that is!!

Dianne said...

I remember that from the NY papers when she first appeared

I just sang it out loud, feels good!!

Joy said...

I remember that movie. Time really does fly for sure!!

Lilly said...

That is funny - and isnt it a shame she cannot sing anymore due to an operation on her throat. She is still gorgeous too and I always loved her British accent.

Unknown said...

Ha! Very clever. No botox for me, though!

Kay said...

This is so hilarious. Still, I feel so sad for her that she's not able to sing anymore, too.

Anonymous said...

I remember her singing this ... and appreciate the reminder. Methinks I actually might have a link to her performance in the sidebar at Small Reflections from LONG ago ... unless it got deleted along the way. I've made so many changes in these last few months.
Hugs and blessings,

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time