I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Monday, January 4, 2010

That's My World -- Orcas Island

That's My World is hosted each week by Klaus and the My World team of Klaus, Sandy, Wren, Fishing Guy, Louise and myself. Each week people from all over the world share the beauty, the interesting, the historical things about their world and here's a chance for you to share your world as well! PLEASE! do read and follow the instructions before signing in! Join us for the fun in this new year!

The part of my world that I'm sharing today is another of the San Juan Islands off the coast of Washington state and easily accessible from Seattle. And while I have been to Orcas Island, as is frequently the case, it was before I had a much time for photography as I had four very young children. So, the information is from Wikipedia and the photos are courtesy of Google Images.



Orcas Island is the largest of the San Juan Islands, which are located in the northwestern corner of Washington state in San Juan County, Washington. Orcas Island is accessible by air or water. The Washington State Ferry route serving the San Juans from the mainland terminal at Anacortes, Washington stops at Orcas Island. Air service to Eastsound Airport is provided by Kenmore Air (from Boeing Field with shuttle to SeaTac) and San Juan Air (from Bellingham). Kenmore Air also provides seaplane service from Lake Union in Seattle to three points on Orcas Island: Rosario, West Sound and Deer Harbor. During the summer season, there is an island shuttle that runs from the ferry landing to Eastsound and other points.

Deer Harbor



With a land area of 57.3 square miles (148.4 km²) and a population of 4,453 (2000 census), Orcas Island is slightly larger, but less populous, than neighboring San Juan Island. Orcas is shaped like a pair of saddlebags, separated by fjord-like East Sound, with Massacre Bay on the south side, and tiny Skull Island just off the coast. At the northern end of the island is the village of Eastsound, the largest town on Orcas and the second largest in San Juan County. In 1989 the Lummi Nation regained a village and burial site on Orcas Island's Madrona Point near Eastsound, and now operates it as Madrona Point Park, a private preserve characterized by hundreds of twisting madrona trees sprouting from the rocky shoreline.





Mount Constitution (elevation 2409 feet - 734 meters) is the highest point in the San Juan islands and is a prime tourist attraction. The drive to the top takes about 15 minutes (except in the worst winter weather when park rangers close the road) and provides a dramatic 360-degree marine view. The mountain is part of Moran State Park, the most popular attraction in the San Juan Islands and the largest public recreation area in the San Juan Islands. Moran State Park encompasses over 5,000 acres (2,000 ha) of woodland and has several lakes, used for swimming, fishing and non-motorized boating, especially kayaking. There are numerous waterfalls, as well as miles of walking, hiking, biking trails, and a campground.



Great place to camp!

45 comments:

bobbie said...

Sounds like a wonderful place to visit, Sylvia. Thanks for the information.

Anonymous said...

You know that Quilly is moving up to Friday Harbor next week there. When I go to Seattle I want to go there as well. Thanks for sharing the information on this. Looks like a wonderful place :)

Martha Z said...

One of these days, Sylvia, I will get there, it's on the list. Unfortunately the list is too long. Hubby chose this years destination and it will be Denali and Kenai Fjords. That should be good for a few posts.

Rajesh said...

Very beautiful island. The snaps are fantastic.

storyteller said...

Your wonderful photos and information bring back lovely memories of my visits to this beautiful area in days of yore ;-)
Hugs and blessings,

Carver said...

What a wonderful place and such an interesting post. I could sit and stare at that waterfall all day.

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers said...

Hi Sylvia, Happy New Year to you. I had heard of the San Juan Islands because a friend of my son's used to go there to see whales. More recently I've learned that a blog friend goes there often. But I had no idea there was such beauty! Looks like a wonderful place to take a holiday.
Janice.

Xavi said...

Thanks Sylvia for your kind remarks.
I'd like to visit Orcas Island, but I think the best time is summer.
Have a sweet week.

Xavi

Gaelyn said...

Sylvia, thank you for sharing Orcas Island. Haven't been there in years. Once sailed into Eastsound. The islands are so lush.

JTG (Misalyn) said...

Thanks for sharing the Orcas Island. I keep on staring at the photos...so serene and very relaxing.

The Good Life in Virginia said...

the islands are indeed gems to be visited. i miss the west coast so very much and so need to return and soak in all the beauty and wonders.
have a great evening sylvia.
erin

Unknown said...

What a great place to spend some quality time. :)

Anonymous said...

I will have to seriously consider getting there. What a great place to camp and visit.

SandyCarlson said...

Looking like paradise to me! Happy New Year!

Susan at Stony River said...

What a magnificent landscape! I was reading the history of the San Juan islands and Friday Harbor a while back to see where Quilly and Amoeba are moving to, and just fell in love with the place. Thanks for sharing more of it Sylvia, and those photos are stunning.

Benikos place said...

Dear Sylvia, thanks for everything, wish you and your family one wonderful new year :)

Unknown said...

It would be a great place to camp! Maybe you will go there again :).
Happy New Year Sylvia.

Janie said...

This looks like a beautiful place to visit. We visited San Juan island one summer, but never made it to Orcas.
Happy New Year, Sylvia!

Anonymous said...

maybe you can do a post about Friday Harbor next. That's where Quilly is headed next week. You all should get together and have a Seattle bloggers party -- like the one I hosted for Honolulu bloggers! What fun that would be!

Arija said...

Sylvia, how very beautiful! Certainly a place I would love to spend lots of time in.

Hope your New Years turns out to be the best yet.

OXO Arija.

Anonymous said...

Another great spot in your part of the World. A very special place and those folks who call that home are blessed. Though I would imagine it's a lifestyle not suitable for most, island life.

Kay Dennison said...

Lovely!!!! I wish I could visit there!!!

eileeninmd said...

Sylvia, Great photos and it looks like a lovely place to camp. Thanks for the info on Orcas Island.

Joe Todd said...

Wow what a beautiful spot and camping to

Samson said...

Paradise indeed, lovely post Sylvia

Thanks for sharing

Japa said...

Nice wonderful place. The unspoiled beauty of nature as it should be. Thanks for sharing.

VioletSky said...

Oh, I think I like this island even more than the lat one...!!
I really like that shot of the hiking path with the red earth.

Maia T said...

A very beautiful island and your informative post is half of the journey. I should like to camp there too.
Thanks for sharing Sylvia.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Sylvia: I want to get to fish around that island, what a wonderful place to visit.

Eden said...

What a lovely island with a beautiful camping spot. I feel I'd like to visit there someday.

Sistertex said...

Truly beautiful. Thank you for sharing your photos!

Irene said...

Lovely. Thanks for sharing Sylvia.

Kay said...

Such incredible photos, Sylvia!

Anonymous said...

What an enchanting island!

The Cunning Runt said...

What a gorgeous place, and your photos are stunning!

magiceye said...

very interesting and informative

January Zelene said...

Wow what a enchanting place to be!

Thanks for visiting! Happy New Year!

Gattina said...

Very interesting and what a beautiful landscape !

Mariz said...

would love to go here someday, thanks for sharing the info. happy tuesday and regards from MixPix!

ninja said...

I've always been fascinated by islands. They get a little bit of everything fascinating in nature.

Indrani said...

Reads like a wonderful place... a great virtual tour.
Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely one of the most beautiful places on earth. The islands just partly visible in the mist. We stayed at Doe Bay - an old hippie commune. Definitely God's country!

Unknown said...

Never heard of these islands and they look like a wonderful place to spend time relaxing.

NatureFootstep said...

a beautiful world you show us. :)

Regina said...

Thank you for sharing this amazing place!

Cheers and regards.

Regina

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time